Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Wingnut Training (the Running Update)

It’s been a while since you’ve had a Wingnut Training update. I bet you’re dying of curiosity! Oh no, wait, that’s what kills cats, not people. Hold your horses! It’s right here…the big update.

Remember that 10K I was training for? I know, you’re thinking…NO! I remember the half-marathon you were training for… Well, there’s no half marathon yet, but I did run my second 10K for the year on April 30th. My watch clocked 1 hour 4 minutes and 20 seconds. It was the James Joyce Ramble. Yup, readers dressed in period pieces were dotted throughout the course reading aloud from the works of James Joyce. I haven’t read any of his works, but I sensed a theme along the lines of “why have you left me my dear loved one?”. Info on the race is here: www.ramble.org









This is me running! Photo courtesy of Mom (my fan club). I must say, she is a great fan club! Thanks for cheering me on Mom! Can you see how happy I am to be nearing the finish line? Note the green socks. They are lucky.



Since the 10K, I’ve been keeping up that running schedule I got from Fleet Feet back in January. It works out pretty swell as a regular schedule. I run a few times during the week, and try to do long runs on the weekend. I hit Quincy hard this past Sunday. Up and down the big hill twice as a warm up, then the regular run. It was a good one! I was breathing hard for about an hour (which is close to six miles for me!). Monday night (yesterday) I reconvened with my regular Charles River running buddy and he commented on my speedy pace! I guess I’m improving. I’m starting to believe those old time runners now. They told me that as you put in more miles the speed will pick up naturally.



I think it's due to the Boston Creme donut I had from Dunkin' Donuts yesterday morning. America Runs on Dunkin'

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm your fan club, too.

    I can't help it if they scheduled the race for a day when I was out of town :-(

    ReplyDelete