Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Cool Runnin'

Yes, Jamaica has a bobsled team... but now Sacramento has a new runner!

I'm in my third week of training to run a half marathon. There was a 2 mile "hump" for me that I just crossed! As a casual run / walker, I could cover two miles in about 25 minutes and that was good enough for me. I didn't see how my body would be able to run longer distances (without any walking breaks). I've always been a great long distance walker...this half marathon is my first attempt at being a long distance runner.

The training program is working! Monday evening I ran for 58 minutes, NO WALKING!!. Okay, I stopped at the bathroom, but ran all the way to the toilet, stopped the watch, and started it again as soon as I got up and began running again. So, I ran 58 minutes at a 12 min/mile pace consistently...the whole time!! It built confidence that my body can run for longer periods of time.

Thus, tonight, when we do our speed workout, I know I'll survive it. Tonight is 12 min warm-up, 16 min fast running, 12 min cool down. As long as I can keep my feet moving at a fast running motion for the 16 minutes, I'll be doing good. I'm excited for it :)

Think warm and speedy thoughts for me. (My running hat is hiding..maybe because it's too cold outside.)

No comments:

Post a Comment