Tuesday, January 10, 2006

How does Starbucks lead to a Baking discussion?

Did you know that Starbuck’s prints a quote on their cups? I’m allowed to frequent the popular coffee shop this year, because my family and friends were kind enough to give me gift cards J

Anyway, my cup (with a non-fat chai latte) says The Way I See It #49

Baking may be regarded as a science, but it’s the chemistry between the ingredients and the cook that gives that gives desserts life. Baking is done out of love, to share with family and friends, to see them smile. – Anna Olson, Chef and hostess of the all-dessert show Sugar on Food Network Canada.

I haven’t noticed any life in the desserts I eat… If there is life, it is very short lived. Especially for the chocolate desserts.

I thought the chemistry was among the ingredients…not between the ingredients and the chef. Maybe that’s where I went wrong in burning a grilled cheese sandwich the other day. I guess, the bread and I weren’t meant for each other. I must say that I did make the grilled cheese with love. It was for A, not me. He smiled, even though it was burnt. Maybe Anna does have a point. (Yes, I do realize that grilled cheese sandwiches don’t count as “baking”. I’m taking a little bit of writer’s liberty with the interpretation.)

My sister did an immense amount of baking this holiday season, to show us how much we are loved. She even kept us on a regulated eating pattern for the cookies to make sure we had plenty for the night that counts the most: Christmas Eve. We didn’t need Santa to help us! We did a great job. Of course my dear friend down from Seattle baked some fabulous sugar cookies to show us her love also.

The way Wingnut sees it: Baking and cooking for other people is enjoyable. They appreciate the gesture (and hopefully the food too), and you are reminded about how good it feels to do something nice for someone else. (This is, of course, assuming that the recipients / eaters do say thank you and express their gratitude.)

1 comment:

  1. "I haven’t noticed any life in the desserts I eat… If there is life, it is very short lived. Especially for the chocolate desserts." Wonderfully said!

    As for chemistry, there are two types.

    The chemistry among the ingredients is the chemistry you learn in school. It's scientific, precise and predictable.

    The chemistry between the cook and the ingredients is like the chemistry between two people. It's emotional, intangible and unpredictable.

    So obviously there's not good chemistry between you and grilled cheese. You love the grilled cheese, but it does not love you back.

    But don't worry. I know that chocolate chip pancakes (short-lived though they are) love you a lot!

    ReplyDelete