Sunday, March 29, 2009

My dad is 60!

I'm still coming to terms with the fact that my Pops is 60. He says I can go ahead and forget it, but how can I? We went out to Cali for a GREAT party. He didn't know we were coming and that was half the fun.
 
Saturday morning my eyes popped open (they, apparently, were still on east coast time) so I walked over to M&D's house from Sis's house while A and Sis were enjoying their Saturday morning snooze. When Mom came down to answer the door, I learned that they too were enjoying their saturday morning snooze (before the doorbell rang).  I walked up to the bedroom and surprised Dad in his sleepy state. He literally did a double take. It was fun to watch the surprise, shock, and glee pass through his face. Then, of course, there was lots of hugging and happy birthday wishing. (I'm glad I didn't give him a heart attack. He is a little older now.)
 
Mom threw a shabang of a party with a seated four course meal for more than 15 people. Butternut squash soup, salad, corned beef and potatoes, dessert. Sis helped with the dessert, being the fabulous pastry chef that she is becoming. Her apple pie and fruit tart were "to die for". Seriously, Dad's friend Tim said the apple pie was an "experience". It was the most flavorful apple pie I'd ever had in my life. As is customary to our family, we decided that two desserts (as yummy as they were) would not be enough. We supplemented Chef Mara's creations with a carrot cake from Costo. This made for a great airplane snack!
 
After good conversation (meeting Dad's friends) and with full tummies, we introduced the crowd to the game Apples to Apples. This is a game that anyone who can read can play. Look it up. Seriously, if the folks at a 60 year old birthday party have fun with it, and believe me they did, then you'll like it too!
 
It was nice to be in the warm weather of Cali for a weekend. We felt like such jet setters. I even made it to the gym with Mom. The step class instructor was flattered that I'd travelled all the way from Boston just to be in his class. He has hopes that I'll make him world famous.
 
We're glad we were part of Dad's big day. He really doesn't seem any different than he was at 59. You're still young Pops (despite the teasing). Thanks for letting us all celebrate your birthday with you.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment