Friday, June 3, 2005

"I'm not doing anything"

Why do people answer with "I'm not doing anything, so sure, I'll be there" when you invite them? What counts as "something" to be doing? We are always doing something. Whether it's sitting on the couch drooling over Emeril's latest creation, or cheering on our favorite Monarch's players at Arco Arena, we are always doing something. It's always nice to be invited, regardless of whether previous plans conflict. But, for some reason, we all worry about seeming uncool if we don't have plans, or we try to look over cool by making up plans.

I lean towards the latter. I love being invited to do things...but when asked if "I'm doing anything" I always have an answer. So if you give up on that part, I'll never know if you were going to invite me somewhere. Just because I had a plan, doesn't mean I won't move things around to accept an invitation. Does reading a good book, or finishing my thesis sound like concrete plans to you?

I prefer the more direct approach of being asked to a particular event, rather than being asked if "I'm already doing anything."

Thoughts from my readers?

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's much better to give an actual invitation, rather than a general "are you doing anything" question. Asking "are you doing anything" puts the responder in an awkward position, just as you say.

    ReplyDelete