Thursday, February 9, 2006

Runner's Log #2

I rested my knees on Tuesday (for the King's) which worked out beautifully, becuase they felt phenominally better on Wednesday morning.

Of course, Wednesday evening was our speed workout. 14 minutes of warm-up, 22 minutes at "tempo" which means 'run fast', and 14 minutes of cool down. Emily will be proud, I chatted with other runners...something I've been hesitant to do until I built confidence in my running abilities.

How embarrasing is it to be jogging along (la la la) chatting with someone and then have to stop suddenly to walk?..they zooming ahead and wonder where you dropped off to (or perhaps they don't wonder and that makes you feel even worse!) Plus, I'm going through a transition, so I wasn't sure if I'd actually be committed to the running team for the entire length of it. Now, I realize that even though I won't be around for the whole thing, the little talks on the trail help us all. Emily was right!

I've noticed through the 10K on Sunday, and the practice last night, that people like to be asked how they are doing...it's amazing how conversation starts from there and it keeps you both going a little bit longer and faster than you would've on your own.

I think I'll continue chatting it up along the running trail. Hence the notion of a "running community".

Highlight of the run (aside from making new friends): Six or Seven Deer grazing near the river. One male had one huge antler and was missing the other. Surprisingly, he held his head straight up. It reminded me of the balance poses in Yoga. Even without both feet on the ground, our bodies can stand up straight. Amazing! The deer were cute...I reminisced about the family vacations in which Sis would count how many deer we saw throughout the length of the vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment