Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Safeway and Disasters

So, I'm wandering the aisles of Safeway last night, taking my time. I like to go up and down each aisle slowly pondering the individual items. As my mind discusses different cereals with itself, the loudspeaker interrupted. "Attention Shoppers: Hurricanes, Tsunamis, Earthquakes and many other natural hazards cause disasters all over the world. They happen in California too. If a disaster occurred today, do you know what to do? May is Disaster Preparedness Month in California and Safeway is proud to help."

Being that I'm completing a thesis on Disasters, this was very strange. At first, I thought I was having a Seinfeld moment. Actually, I started laughing. I couldn't tell if the other shoppers were listening. How is it that I have been studying disaster planning for a year, and I miss the fact that May is Disaster Preparedness Month? Shouldn't someone have told me?

Anyway, it's true. Arnold declared it, and Maria has been publicizing it. Check out the links on the right for more info and a coloring book! I love coloring.

TOP TEN THINGS YOU SHOULD DO NOW:
1. Learn which kinds of natural and human-caused disasters pose a risk for your area (earthquakes, fires, floods, etc.)
2. Draft a Family Disaster Plan in writing.
3. Build Disaster Supply Kits for your home and car.
4. Choose an out-of-town contact person family members may call to report how and where they are during an emergency.
5. Know where to go during an emergency; designate a park, school or other convenient location.
6. Prepare your children and remember those with special needs, such as infants, seniors, and people with disabilities.
7. Include pets in your Family Disaster Plan.
8. Eliminate hazards in your home and office.
9. Learn how to keep yourself and your family safe by taking first aid, CPR and other preparedness classes.
10. Get involved -- donate blood, educate your neighbors, join Citizen Corps and volunteer!


Funny thing is... (Title of Ellen's book)
I have #s 7 and 10 completed! The whole no pets situation takes care of # 7 easily. I just gave blood today and I'll consider this post as an education to my neighbors.


However, if you could see my apartment right now, you'd think I was condoning Disaster Creation Month rather than Disaster Preparedness Month.

1 comment:

  1. Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with

    ReplyDelete