Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Kamikaze Ladybugs

Have you ever experienced a kamikaze ladybug? I have. Maybe the term kamikaze is a little extreme, since the ladybugs didn’t die. I’m referring to the ladybugs the bombarded me at the beach last weekend. We were just sitting on our towels minding our own business when I noticed a ladybug crawling on me.

“Oh hello, Mrs Ladybug. Want to play?” See, I was being nice. This comment, of course, sparked conversation about whether or not the ladybug was actually a lady. You all remember the ladybug guy in “A Bug’s Life” right? The one with a really deep voice who got offended every time someone seemed surprised that he, as a ladybug, was actually a he.

Well, shortly thereafter, another ladybug joined the party by crawling on me. No big deal. They were nice. I was preoccupied with digging a hole to China, so as long as they were not interrupting my project I didn’t mind them hanging out with us.

Then, a kamikaze ladybug came crashing right into my forehead. KLUNK! My forehead is not made of steel, but is still pretty hard when you are a kamikaze ladybug traveling at light speed. This third ladybug rebounded off of my forehead into the hole I was digging. I had to pull it out and dust all the sand of her. Boy, was she a mess. Now, all three ladybugs are flying around, all energized and possibly angry at the sand for making their wings heavy. They continued to crash into my forehead! Why? I still don’t understand why ladybugs would come straight into my forehead and continue to KLUNK right down into the hole I was building. The whole situation got very annoying.

I left the ladybugs and put my feet in the water. We were at the beach after all.

Question: What is there for ladybugs to do at the beach? There are no flowers.

1 comment:

  1. But there are insects at the beach for the ladybugs to eat.

    I was just reading where the name ladybug came from. Do you know?

    ReplyDelete