Thursday, June 11, 2009

I've been pricked!

After two finger pricks I was allowed to give blood last night. I guess my right hand has more iron in it than my left. Perhaps my left hand is using all of its iron to heal the finger I burned the other night. (see separate story below) After work, A and I walked pretty far into the industrial parts of South Boston to get to the Red Cross blood drive at the Boston Athletic Club. We thought we'd never get there...but we eventually did. I had to break into the juice bottles prior to giving blood. We answered all the questions and got our fingers pricked. Once up on the bed, the lady did a great job putting in the needle, but then she did some adjustments! She wiggled it around until it was in the right place. YIKES!  I made it through the whole donation, ate my oreos, and filled out my entry to win Red Sox tix. Phew, we were done.
 
I was in desperate need of a cheeseburger. We headed over to Atlantic Grill (a new place that opened up on the water). The place is FULL of flat screen TVs. Everywhere we turned our head we could see the Red Sox beating the Yankees. We enjoyed some great cheeseburgers, great baseball, and then headed home. HOORAY for Youkilis and Lowell's 10th home runs of the season! 
 
At home, when I took my jacket off, I found my gauze pads on my elbow were all red. I had been bleeding during the burger fest, I guess. I washed out my jacket sleeve, peeled the tape off my arm (OUCH!) and examined my needle hole. It's more like I've been sliced than poked. It doesn't hurt and it's not bleeding anymore, so I guess I'll be ok.  And, I'll probably donate again. 
 
 
my burned finger
I try to be a good wife by cooking dinner and doing the dishes, and what do I get? a burnt finger!  Dinner was successful. I went to the kitchen to make hot chocolate after dinner and decided to wash some dishes while the kettle warmed up. I was jammin' through dish duty and grabbed a pot lid from the stove. As I was washing it and spinning it in my hands, a hot part reached my finger. OUCH! It was hot. That lid was sitting next to the kettle...silly me.  It wasn't a bad burn, but I did go to bed with an ice cube.

3 comments:

  1. You are SO brave to give blood! I wish I could without passing out. I am scared to death of needles and got the heebie jeebies just reading your story! Congrats to you!

    Also, I tried to vacuum the other day and ended up with yarn (which the cats play with) stuck in the roller brush-thingy and I broke the vacuum!!! Luckily, Jason was able to fix it AFTER taking the thing apart (and then looking it up online and finding out that there is a reset button! On a vacuum! Who know?) Anyway, that's what we get for being good wives. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double ouch! Sorry to hear about your injuries.

    I'm giving blood on Saturday. I get to enter drawing for a couple of days at Disneyland.

    --Pops

    ReplyDelete
  3. I donated blood on Saturday. I did a double-red, which means that they took twice as much of the red platelets of my blood but returned the plasma to me. There's a machine that does it all automatically. It's weird to see the liquid flowing back into my arm.

    The interesting thing is that the process makes you cold, because the plasma cools off as it is processed. They put some warm pads on my shoulders to keep me warm, and they had blankets available.

    The best thing was that I have an excuse not to go to the gym for three days!

    --Pops

    ReplyDelete