Friday, June 19, 2009

a one night adventure

Who would've expected that a one night trip to Raleigh could be so filled with excitement?
 
I had to fly Delta on the flight to Raleigh. I hate flying any airline other than Jet Blue. I'm so comfy on Jet Blue. I used to say I LOVE them, but they've had some customer service glitches in the past year and so I've demoted them to I'm comfy on their airline. I still prefer them over any other airline.
 
My biggest frustration with Delta is that I couldn't book a seat online when I booked my flight. I was never able to choose a seat. I went through security with a "seat request" thing. In their world, it counts as a boarding pass. I wasn't too worried about it since I got to Logan with plenty of time before my flight. However, the line for security took 45 mintues to get through! That's not usually the case. I made friends and eventually came out the other side. I bee-lined for Lucky's, chowed on a cheeseburger (yumm), and mosied over to my gate a few minutes before the scheduled boarding time.
 
When I arrived at the gate, they were busy trying to get a few other flights out at the same time, so they told us not to wait in line for seat assignments. They would call us by name. How did the other folks get seat assignments?
 
The next announcement I heard was "Folks, we are in an oversold situation. We are looking for two volunteers....blah blah blah...the next available flight is tomorrow morning."  I'm thinking "great, I've got no seat and we're oversold".
 
Shortly thereafter, I hear they are boarding all passengers to Raleigh. I hopped in line with my "seat request" and the magic machine printed me a seat number. 13B. phew. I was getting on the plane.
 
13B was the back of the bus. The very last row. It was only half a row. The other half was the bathroom.  Halfway through a less than 2 hour flight, some guy decides to use the bathroom. fine. When he's done he just stands in the aisle outside the bathroom and over my shoulder. He's just chillin'. I realize that if he needs to stretch his legs, he has no where else to go, but it was a bit intrusive of my space. Grrr... I missed Jet Blue.
 
THE NEXT DAY
I get to the Raleigh airport super excited that I get to fly Jet Blue home and I don't have to get on Delta or any other airline, only to find out that my flight is delayed. Bummer. A and I had plans to go out to dinner. The delay was due to weather delays in Beantown. The rain cut the Red Sox game short that night. We blame Mother Nature for the Sox's loss on that one. They totally would've won had they been given the chance to play four more innings!  Anyway, my delay kept getting more and more extended.
 
A and I realized our dinner plans just weren't going to happen, so, I found myself a chocolate chip cookie (size large), a wall outlet for the laptop, and purchased access to the ATT wifi. With a cookie and internet amusement (facebook, email, goodreads, etc) I felt much better about the delay. When I finally made it to Boston, A picked me up ad whisked me home so I didn't have to walk in the rain. YIPPEE!!
 
I was welcomed at home with a stocked fridge and "Welcome Home Flowers". They are gorgeous magenta gerbera daisies. Lovely!  My honey is really good to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment