Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Silence and Stealth

So, it's Tuesday now...and I planned to log on and tell you about the silent stealthy mosquitoes that attacked us this weekend. Only, now I realize that the last post was about bugs. (I'd completely forgotten about the bug that flew into my eye. That was rude!)

Anyway, we went backpacking this past weekend, and the mosquitoes were not the "buzz in your ear" kind. They were silent. Yes, they still bit. I felt it was kind of unfair of them not to warn me by buzzing, but then again, if they were buzzing, I would've been super annoyed by the buzzing. There's no winning with mosquitoes. They are just gross.

Yes, we had repellant and we applied it every hour on the hour. I think after 24 hours the mosquitoes were used to the taste of it... I slept under the stars (no tent) the first night and woke up without a bite. But the next day...the mosquitoes spared me no sympathy. Oh well, they are not as bad as spider bites. They go away much quicker and itch a lot less!

I got spider bites too, don't worry.

I'm sure it sounds like I shouldn't be out in the woods because I'm complaining about the bugs. But, actually, I didn't get frustrated with them or annoyed at all. I was at piece with the bugs. There were no complaints from me. I guess it's only in the urban environment that I become a drama queen and have wars with them.

The weekend in the woods, of course, was fabulous! I rolled around in snow patches despite the near 100 degree weather. So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment